[Harp-L] Oy Vey - More on Getting Good and Getting Better

First, I'd like to say that everything I say below is well known to many of the musicians on this list. Not that they might not get something out of reading it, but it's posted especially to encourage newer players.

I don't know that I agree with everything in the article linked below, but it is germaine to the discussion I initiated last month.

http://www.sciencentral.com/articles/view.php3?type=article&article_id=218392857

The main theme of the article is that serious, focused practice is something the experts share in common.

One interesting bit: It seems researchers on the subject of talent and practice "suspect that what many people think of as "talent" may just be the motivation and commitment to continually challenge yourself."

And one of the important places to challenge yourself is away in your lab, practicing new ideas, coming up with newer ones.

I work with lots of graduates of the Berklee School of Music. They are all amazingly technically proficient as players and as composers. And yet very few of them are really exciting musicians. Too many of them graduate and never learn another new thing, and it shows in their playing, which becomes more and more academic and boring. The ones who keep studying and growing are the ones that make the exciting music. The best of them, an extrodinary and very successful guitarist, continues to practice as much as 8 hours a day into his 50's.

I can't practice 8 hours a day, never have in my whole life. But I do practice every day, and I NEVER only practice what I know, I'm always reaching for new ideas. Jerry Wexler, the great record producer, said that one thing all the great musicians he worked with had in common was the tendency to 'get sick of their own smell,' meaning get sick of the licks and feelings and whatever that they have been playing for too long, and come up with new stuff to replace it.

Playing lots of gigs is good practice, but if you mix it in with alot of solo practice, and alot of 'rehearsal' with other cats, you will get better and better at coming up with new vocabulary.

Last night I read a book about Glenn Gould, the wonderful piano player. He is quoted as saying he practiced rarely. However, another pianist, Gary Graffman, spent a few days at a Steinway piano facility in Europe, and he said Gould practiced a great deal during the time they were both there.

Remember the kids who said they didn't study, and yet still got all A's? Remember how that was a load of baloney?

It adds to your mystique if you say you never practice, but if you really never practice you ain't gonna excel at harmonica playing. I didn't FEEL like I was practicing those first few years, neither did you. But if you don't want to get bored, keep practicing.

There's a link in this article to another article titled "Expert Performance and Deliberate Practice." Very worthy.

http://www.psy.fsu.edu/faculty/ericsson/ericsson.exp.perf.html

Now, when I was a sprout I believed that thinking about such things might actually hurt my playing. Someone either on-list or off mentioned to me that there were certain things that they were afraid if they learned it might affect their playing adversely.

I highly recommend learning everything you can about everything, as it will all have a positive effect on your music.

Ken