[Harp-L] re rhythm Willie

Tom, I can hear a distinct overdraw 9, 5 notes from the end of 'Boarding house blues'. The phrase seems to go
9B 9Bb 9B 9D(od) 10d 10Bbb 10Bb 10B
 In my version of breathtakin blues he is using 4th pos, you can hear it clearly in the bent 8b

Rob Venables (hesitantly contradicting one of my heros!!)

Tom Ball wrote
As to comparisons with Popper, the only similarity I hear is a
preference for the upper register -- other than that, Mr. Hood's
playing is more thought out, better executed and just plain hipper
than Mr. Popper's.  Despite was was written here earlier, Wiilie did
not overblow; nevertheless his facility on the diatonic harp was
astonishing, particularly his fifth-position work on 'Breathtakin'
Blues.' RW was one of the only harpists of his (or any other) era to
never play in second position -- most of his recordings are in first.

As to John Kally's question regarding RW's version of "I Got Rhythm,"
it was recorded in 1950 w/ possibly Memphis Slim's Orchestra and
released on Premium PR-866. To my knowledge this has not been
reissued. He did do some 1947 recordings with Earl Bostic's band, but
only one cut ("Willie's Boogie") was issued on a now-out-of-print
French LP (Aladdin/Pathe Marconi 1561321.) This is the sample
referred to by Xavier.  To repeat Xavier's post, part of the song is
here: http://harmonica.typepad.com/harmonica_ramblings/files/Q2EX3.mp3

Altogether Rhythm Willie appeared (either as a leader or a sideman)
on 16 sides from 1939 to 1950 (plus 3 more unissued sides w/ Bostic.)
It's a shame none of the reissue labels has chosen to group these
together on CD.

cheers and best to all,

Tom Ball