Re: [Harp-L] Important harmonica safety warning

>From a recent interview with Jethro Tull's Ian Andersen:

  Question: How did you develop your famous on-stage persona, such as the
overcoat and standing on one leg while playing the flute?

Ian Anderson: "It came not from playing flute, but actually from playing
harmonica. I used to play harmonica standing on one leg, because you suck more
than you blow the harmonica. And when you suck in those really high notes, it's
good not to be wearing overly tight underwear. Otherwise you get an involuntary
leg-lifting action. You should check it out at home, but make sure you have a
doctor or paramedic in attendance."

'Nuff said.

JG

Does this apply to women? Sarah Allen, flute player with the traditional band Flook, is notorious for standing on one leg. I can't quite get my head round whether the tight underwear comment would still apply...

Steve

Harmonica content: she also plays the piano accordion, which has reeds like a harmonica. ;-)

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm