Re: [Harp-L] New Band

mark wilson wrote:
> I've been invited by a local guitar player to join his band.
> Here's  a list of the stuff they're into:
> Tom Petty, Who, Stones, Beatles, Beach Boys, Bryan Adams, Kinks,
> Rascals, Neil Young, Lovin Spoonful, John Melloncamp, Jackson
> Brown, Gin Blossoms, Elvis Costello, etc....

I'd take the plunge just to get a chance to cover "Daydream".  What
a great harp part!  Do you get to whistle the solo, too?

Honestly, there's tons of harp opportunities in a lot of this
stuff.  I do Tom Petty's "Mary Jane's Last Dance" with one of the
bands I play with, and think about the Rascal's "Groovin'" or the
Stones' "Midnight Rambler".  I heard a great version of the Who
doing "Baba O'Reily" live (I *think* it was Woodstock) where Daltrey
covered the violin part at the end pretty credibly on harp.

With a line-up like this, you could steer them toward other
performers in the general genre who had more harp in their music,
like maybe Steve Miller.  You're never going to get a solo in every
song, but it could broaden your horizons.  Think about replacing
various "hook" instruments in the tunes, playing the part of a
keyboard or a horn or a violin -- or even an accordion or a pedal
steel.

Plus, who ever said you can only play in one band.  This could be an
interesting project in addition to a blues band gig.  I play in a
country band from time to time apart from my more regular gig
playing jazz.  It's all good!

-tim