[Harp-L] New here

Hi folks.  I'm fairly new here.  Found Harp-L about a week ago and have,
until now, mainly lurked in the shadows.  My name is Scott and live in Fort
Lauderdale.  Been playing the diatonic for Blues and other styles for 36+
years.  Sometimes I don't play for months at a time, when I'm focusing on
guitar but recently got the bug again and am going "at it" with a fury. Many
of my very old harps have seen better days, so I ordered a Seydel Blues
Soloist Pro and am looking forward to seeing how a top quality diatonic will
act.  After reading much about the harp on the web recently, I think I will
open up some of my old tired harps and see if I can't give them a tune-up.
I'd be interested to know what others do to give their harps a bit more
chops.

My new harp just came in the mail today.  "A" Seydel Blues Soloist Pro,
11301 , I think.  I ordered it from Rupert in NC and it arrived today.  I
say, "Pro, 11301, I think," because in Seydel's website it shows the Blues
Soloist Pro with a "half flat" cover and a brown box.  The harp I just
received has a bright chrome cover and it came in the gold box.  The Soloist
11201 shows in their website with a gold box and bright chrome covers with
the key stamped in the corner of the cover and a three-camel-humped edges.
However, after examining the harp, this one does have the straight edges on
the covers and it also does show the rounded corners on the comb as well as
the slight oval-shaped mouth holes and no key stamped on the cover.  I'm
confused, waaaaa.  I tried to call Rupert on the phone but I'm just getting
his voicemail.  I believe I have a Pro, but somehow with bright chrome
covers.

I haven't played it yet.  I am emailing Seydel and Rupert and will wait for
an answer before I start blowing it.

Anybody play one of these yet?

To answer Mark about joining a new band, I have been hanging with the
folkies for a number of years and at the "songswaps" it can be difficult to
let it all hang out on the harp for an experienced blues player when the
tunes aren't suited for it.

So instead of just having the harp for the main key in my hand, I grab
several harps of the related keys out of the case so I can keep up with the
progressions and work with the different modes.  It makes it a bit more of a
challenge (fun) and I can do riffs in between the vocal phrases to liven
things up.

Mostly, when it's time for a solo, I just work within the melody and add a
few embellishments where I can.  It's not so much for me and the ability to
show off my prowess, but more to entertain the listeners who really don't
know when you are playing enlightened and inspired anyway.  They'll love it
just as much when you play restrained and just do the song tastefully
without trying to push it and concentrate on getting awesome tone and
precise notes. I get applause after a solo even though I know I haven't
really done anything very special and just nod and accept it with gratitude.

If I were to start playing in a rock band that didn't do much Blues, I'd
make sure to use the practice sessions and rehearsals to try out different
keys in the circle of fifths and test the modalities.  There could be some
really interesting passages you can play that you might not find just by
playing a D in the key of A, for example.  That might be what you need to
get inspired doing non-blues tunes with a Blues diatonic harp.

PEACE
Scott
Believe in Magic!