[Harp-L] RE: Practice In Short

Dear List,

  I disagree with whomever wrote that "nobody likes to practice".  I really like to.  I'm busy, so I probably only average between 30 to 90 min/ day, but I frequently WANT to.  I work on the bends, the scales I know, new licks, old songs, new songs, overblowing, long tones....whatever.

   I suppose it's a lot of "work", but I never think of it that way.  To me, work is when you won't do it unless you're getting paid.  Any kind of harmonica playing is "play" to me even if it's working on boring stuff.  I'll play long tones because I just want to have good tone.  It's more fun to have good tone, so the practice is fun too, right?

    As an addition to any practice regime, I always suggest a certain amount of "play".  Sometimes the best new ideas come when you're just messin' with it.  It gives one the chance to put new skills into use.  Also, it helps to create one's own style.

  Dan G.