[Harp-L] RE: [BluegrassHarp] Dr Banjo's view of harmonica

BILL THOMPSON WROTE....

I came across this question and its answer by Pete Wernick, the banjo
teacher who has some DVDs out...thought it might provoke some
discussion.

I thought Pete's answer to the harmonica player was thoughtful and
sensitive, but a bit of a downer, as it spelled out (as if we didn't
know already!) how string players view the harmonica in bluegrass.

What struck me most was Pete's statement that the harmonica should not
be played fast in bluegrass and characterization of such playing as
"huffing and puffing." My first thought was that he's been exposed to
players with bad technique, and that nimble, clean single-note playing
on a harmonica doesn't sound like that at all.....But maybe to a string
player, ALL harmonica playing sounds like huffing and puffing.

Any thoughts?

________________________________

Ask Dr. Banjo:
Harmonica in Bluegrass
Aug 3, 2006
Jersey Jim writes:

Hey Pete,

I've been a campfire guitar strummer for years but never really tried
to advance. (Same old stuff). What I been good at or even better than
good is the harmonica. I been playing harp for 30 years and have adapted
to sitting in with a lot of different styles of music Blues, folk and
bluegrass mostly.

What I have experienced as a harp player is I get mixed emotions from
different festivals at night time jams. Sometimes I am very much
welcomed (especially if they recognize me ) and other times I can't get
a break to same my life, so I move on. I've even seen where musicians
will pack it up and move on when I enter a circle, with caution that is.
I'm thinking of taking up the banjo, just so I have more musicians I can
play and work with. But I was curious to hear your view point on his
delicate subject and do you have any suggestions on were/how I can
improve. So I ask you, Pete, Is the harmonica a bluegrass instrument?

Thanks for your input , hope to meet you soon. Jersey Jim

Pete Replies:

Dear J.J.,

You've asked a very interesting question here. The short answer is what
you've already observed: "Yes or no, depending."

Longer answer, depending on "what"?

Most people don't like *fast* harmonica playing in bluegrass. It's very
hard to do, and sounds very hard to do, but I personally don't usually
like it, and all the "huffing and puffing" as I think of it, distracts
from the pure sounds of the picked and bowed instruments. Flatt &
Scruggs and Jim & Jesse both experimented with harmonica players, some
of the best in fact, but many fans didn't like it, and with those two
high-profile experiments, most people consider the case closed.

**However**, on slower, wistful tunes, I think a harmonica can add a
beautiful, evocative feel that is not at all foreign to the sounds and
emotions of bluegrass.

I am a bit biased here, because my dad played harmonica. After rejecting
him as a music partner as a teenager (par for the course, I guess), I
later "rediscovered" him, and had many happy times making music with
just banjo and harmonica. We even did a little bit of recording that I'd
like to release someday.

In jam sessions, I'm always willing to give a harmonica player a turn,
just to see what they can do. If they can handle the music well (even in
huff/puff style) I'll think of them as welcome, because in a jam, when
it doubt it's better to be inclusive -- usually, at least.

So I'm just underscoring your experience and the conclusions you've
already drawn:

1. Some people will like it, some won't.

2. Choose where you're welcome, and leave where you're not.

3. To be more generally welcome, bring and be able to play another, more
wanted instrument.

Here's a further suggestion:

4. Choose your situations carefully. Don't bring out the harmonica until
a slower song comes along, then do your thing, with good tone and
feeling, no histrionics. That will create a great first impression and
good reaction. Then put it back away until the next opportunity where
you know it will go over well. Don't start "chancing" using it on more
questionable songs (especially faster ones) unless you really think it
will work. Like a lot of things, a small portion will go over a lot
better than a large portion.

Happy harping!

Pete

 **************************************
Trip's two cents...

This may sound funny coming from a harp player who is out every week
playing bluegrass, but for the most part, I agree with Pete.  Just to
add to his pedigree, in addition to his being one of the most important
players and educators of the banjo, he is, or was until recently the
President of the IBMA (International Bluegrass Musician's Association).
But he's no stick in the mud - or a purist.  He started HOT RISE with
Tim O'Brian and has a progressive bluegrass band that features - god
forbid, the clarinet!  I've both hired Pete and played with Pete - he's
a great and open minded guy.  But I too was not wild about Charlie McCoy
with Flatt and Scruggs or Mike Stevens with Jim and Jesse.  Come to
think of it,  I can not think of a popular bluegrass band that
incorporates harp into the lineup. The one exception that comes to mind
is the first WILL THE CIRCLE BE UNBROKEN album with Jimmie Fadden on
harp (and drums).  There he duets with the late great Vassar Clements by
playing a harmony or takes his own solos and it works great - but that's
not a pure bluegrass recording  - but it serves as an example of how it
CAN work. As a rule, harp seems to work better in an old time setting
due to the ensemble nature of the music - harp and fiddle blend
beautifully.

Trip Henderson
http://www.myspace.com/triphenderson

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=3035226/grpspId=1705240556/m
sgId=4004/stime=1161365558/nc1=3848627/nc2=3848429/nc3=4025347>