[Harp-L] Finding a harp position for "Summertime"

  I think most diatonic players would attack it in 3rd position; but 4th
might be the easiest.  I think Howard Levy prefers it in that position,
too.  There's a nice blow bend you can hit on the 8th to start it out.  I
even like 5th better, but there's a nasty overblow on the 5 hole that you
would have to hit with some volume and hold if you're playing the tune in
the middle of the harp.  I usually grab that note elsewhere on the harp.
The nice thing about playing it in 5th is that it sort of veers into cross
position at the end.
  You never hear it 6th; but I think it sounds pretty cool in that
position, too.  Providing you keep the half-step bend on the 2 draw in
tune.  I just tack a little of that "oy,oy,oy" jaw vibrato on it.  6th is a
great, underused blues position, by the way.  I like to play in the popular
key of E on a low F harp.

Mick Zaklan