Re: [Harp-L] Replacement (looser) spring for Hohner 270?

Meant to send this long ago, like my last post, but have been having all sorts of personal and computer woes messing with me lately! Anyway, I'm 'sort of' back and hope whatever input here is still useful to someone...

Back on 10/5/2006 2:53:39 PM, Winslow Yerxa wrote:
> There is a steel post embedded in the comb that slips out, about
> halfway back on the right end of the comb. There are holes in both
> reedlpates that allow access to it. The spring is wrapped around this
> post. Use a small screwdriver or something similar to push the post
> out, then take out the spring

You may need to use needle nose pliers to pull the spring out, as it presses pretty tightly against the walls of the hole. Also, when undoing the mouthpiece, it is likely under tension, too, due to a bow in the mouthpiece, so it's best to loosen the mouthpiece screws alternately a little bit at a time to help avoid stripping the holes for the screws, being careful not to lose the plastic buffers. Work over a dark cloth, even a black T-shirt, to catch and soften the fall of small parts so they don't bounce into the next county!

Personally, I have always wondered why the Hohner springs seem set so overly strong in the first place. The outer end wall of the wood comb has been known to blow out from this high pressure the spring can exert on it. If the slider mechanism is well adjusted for quick and slick movement, the spring doesn't have to be so stiff, IMO, which is why I've lessened the tension on nearly every chromatic I've got or worked on.

Some folks have found it beneficial to insert a metal sleeve in the hole to add strength to the hole's wall. I know the ferrule that holds a pencil's eraser has been used, but again, this can cause a different problem - a noiser slider from the metal spring tapping against a metal insert.

> Try bending it farther inwards, but angle the end out so that it
> can still insert into the pinhole in the slider.
>
> This will take some experimenting to get right.

As Winslow, and "G" after him, implied, this can be a bit tricky. G's idea of using nails in a block of wood is good, but I'd suggest hammering them all the way through and then clipping the pointed ends to workable lengths with strong wire cutters, a Dremel saw or some such. I have used a screwdriver or small rod with a diameter that fits neatly into the spring's coil, holding it tightly in a vise while I adjust the spring with masking tape on the vise jaws to mark the original angle of the arms. [The main thing is to slip the spring over a shaft that is close to the same diameter size as the spring post, because using something too small may cause the spring to deform and not fit properly over the post anymore.] Then use small pliers to squeeze the spring posts together. You may have to secure one end while you grab the other with the pliers and literally wrap the arm a bit tighter around the shaft or nail.

And, yes, this will change the angle of the arm that goes into the slider pinhole, perhaps even making it too short now, which is why I recommend altering the shorter arm more than the long one, so as not to change the pinhole arm's length too drastically. Anyway, you will probably need to reinsert the spring several times, and even temporarily position the slider over the spring wire to test its action, then eventually rebend the pinhole arm so it fits into the hole properly. Try to get it so the arm is fairly perpendicular to the slider's surface when the slider is midway through its movement in order to minimize wear on the pinhole's edges or the spring arm itself.

There are several other little things you can do, depending on how finicky you want to get, but hopefully, you've gotten enough hints here to get you going.

Good luck with it!

Bobbie
<http://www.tfn.net/~bobg/Renaissance.htm>http://www.tfn.net/~bobg/Renaissance.<http://www.tfn.net/~bobg/Renaissance.htm>htm