[Harp-L] new band

I agree with the comments made before. Get in there and play with them
first. I have found a bunch of rock songs that are blues based. Where it
really occurred to me was when our lead singer said, "I have a version of
Werewolves of London with harmonica in it. I'd like to try it". Sure enough,
it had blues harp all over it (Hoot soundtrack, by Jimmy Buffet). We play it
now with harp doing all the fill and piano type parts, plus I get a wicked
solo. The Miller kid did Hard to Handle, which is a blues based song too.
Listen to Joe Satriani, he has occasional blues harp is his songs too.

After you've been in the band a while and everything is working good, the
other members will start coming up with good harp songs to try, just like my
example above. Plus you can make suggestions (as mentioned before, like
Clapton, Stevie Ray Vaughn, etc.).

Go for it!

"I've been invited by a local guitar player to join his band. Here's a list
of the stuff they're into,

Tom Petty, Who, Stones, Beatles, Beach Boys, Bryan Adams, Kinks,
Rascals, Neil Young, Lovin Spoonful, John Melloncamp Jackson Brown, Gin
Blossoms, Elvis Costello, etc....

I like a lot of this music, but frankly, when it comes to playing
harmonica, I prefer playing the blues ."

Shawn Williams
http://code29band.com