[Harp-L] Howard Levy- Just when you thought you heard everything

This Saturday 22, Howard Levy with Trio Globo,( Eugene Friesen and Glen Velez and Howard) performed at SUNY New Paltz.

Howard continues to expand the horizons of diatonic harp. Many of the pieces he performed with one hand on the harp and the other on the piano. The other musicians, Glen Velez (percussion) and Eugene Freisen (cello) gave a phenomenal performances as well. At times Eugene accompanied the harp so well, complementing Howard's lines sometimes playing counterpoint, other times he would pluck and strum the cello in a manner reminiscent of Charles Mingus. Can't forget Glen Velez, I didn't realize you can so much sound, so many timbres from one hand drum.
 When we talk about Howard's harp playing we forget his is an accomplished pianist as well. One piece, Carnival of Souls, he played stride like James P. Johnson.
But the showstopper was his solo version of "Amazing Grace"
He actually played these bag pipe drones while he played the melody over it and then would play these improvised passages . I swear he had one harp sounding like three.
Just when you thought you heard everything!