[Harp-L] Good cheap small amp

"Kevin M. Duggan" wrote:
<I just want something to have fun with,
<I have three mikes a Sure Green Bullet,
<A Blues Blaster (JT 30)
<and a shaker.<

<I just want a little amp w/ the
<chicago sound.

<Also I bought my green bullet
<used I think it was rewired
<for the outdoors if that makes any sense.
<This is what the person I bought it from said.
<I get too much feedback inside.

Good amp choices include:
Crate VC508/V58/Palomino V8--these are all essentially the same amp with different cosmetics.  Used VC508s and V58s can be found on eBay at well under $200.

The Epiphone Valve Junior-- like the Crate, this is a 5 watt amp with good tube tone.  You can buy it with an 8 inch speaker for about $150, as a head only for $99.

As per previous comments on this list, the Kalamazoo
Model 1 or Model 2 are also very good choices.

All of these amps should set you back between $150-$250 depending on whether you buy used or new.  For new, Musiciansfriend.com is a good choice for the purchase--excellent service and a 30-day no questions asked money-back return policy.

If you want a 5 watt monster amp, buy any of the above and send it to Ron Holmes at Holmes Engineering.  For about $200 more including shipping and handling, Ron will turn the thing into a pro-level beast.

If you want to spend more money up front, a lot of players on this list (e.g. Iceman and Chris Michalek) have recently mentioned a 5 watt Fender Champ lookalike that sells new for about $600 and is tuned for harp.   (The name escapes me, but Iceman or Chris can probably supply--or just check the harp-L archives.)  This is apparently a very fine harp setup.  However, I think you get a great deal indeed by buying any of the above and having Ron Holmes work his magic--and if you like what you hear out of the box, you can always put off spending the money on Ron until the amp needs an overhaul.

Regards, Richard Hunter