RE: Fwd: [Harp-L] Shure 545 question

 [Harp-L] Shure 545 question

Nope, pretty much no difference (it's just quality control just like one older crystal is hotter than the next crystal....is the coil wound precisely, is the coil's copper superior in metallurgical property composition?).
I had a PE54 that was hotter than any "original 545" I've ever owned and I've owned them all many times over.  They all continue to use Alnico V magnets and not the newer neodymium magnets.

I've AB'd a 545, 545SD, 545D, PE54D, and a Mexican 545 with a blind fold on and could not tell which one was which.  I then used the various pistol grips and I had the same conlusion, minus the Mexican 545.

I will say, though, that the newer Mexican 545's seem to have a pinch brighter tone and not as much wide open low end, but still a big boy harp mic and it works better with a certain amp I own.

I believe the mystic of "The Butterfield Mic" in reference to the original 545, is nothing more than a glittering generality to sell those at a higher price.

steve
www.thunderharpmics.com

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com