Re: [Harp-L] The new Boss recorder - detailed description

Hello Alexander,

This Boss machine looks "boss". I have a couple of points on it, though:

>> Boss Micro BR
- Audio formats: (MP3) 44.1 kHz, 64kbps-320kbps, (WAV) 44.1 kHz, 8 bit

1. Are you sure that it records to WAV (someone else mentioned this too)? You probably are, as you have found the manual! I haven't seen WAVs mentioned anywhere on the Boss site. Perhaps you could point me to the manual? I've only seen the two page brochure so far.

2. I'm sure it will make a great practise tool.  I use an older Yamaha
portable sequencer with mini-keyboard, the QY70, and it is one of the best
pieces of gear that I've owned - the similarity being that they are both
designed for specific purposes, and they are both very portable.

3. I'm not sure it's really aimed at high end recording.  I'd be interested
to see how a plain old dynamic mic works with it.  The Boss unit doesn't
have balanced XLR - that's ok, but I think it's designed to be used with
cheaper, high-impedance mics.  Correct me if I'm wrong, please.  The
brochure lists the mic input impedance at 10K ohms (ahem!) with plug-in
power = off, or 1.8K with plug-in power=off.  I don't get what plug-in power
means here - phantom power?

Sorry to be a killjoy.  I think 1 and 3 above would potentially be important
to you.  They would be to me anyway.

Eugene
http://www.eugeneryan.com