Re: [Harp-L] Shure 545 question

> This doesn't answer Bill's question, however, which is (re-stated)
> "is there a difference in tone from the same mic when used in Lo-Z
> vs. Hi-Z configurations"? I can't answer that, haven't ever tried.
>
> /Greg Heumann

  I've done side by side comparison with some help of a professional
player,  between my mic with an original US made R45 cartridge fitted into
an 545SD body by Tom Ellis and Larry Price, against a brand new off the
shelf 545SD with the later Mexican made R45 cartridge.
  Both were set up high impedance played into two identical class A
preamps.  We were really, really, really looking for tonal differences and
response.  After an hour of rigourous side by side playing whilst trying
different settings, we simply couldn't tell the difference between them.
Eg. one player would blow with his back turned without saying which mic he
was using, and he'd swap between them, or fake swapping between them - a
blind test. He could've been playing the same mic the entire time and never
have noticed, we swapped players just to make sure with the same result.
  The very first 545 manual (US made R45 cartridge) shows the R45 gives
slightly less top end when it's configured to (balanced) low impedance.
All the other manuals (including all the PE54 models) doesn't show this
difference, but their response charts are identical to the original
manual's high impedance chart, including the latest model 545SD you can buy
at your favourite music store today.
-- G.
http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/shure545.html