Re: [Harp-L] Electric Harp Versus Guitar

Mike -

Cool thread topic. And though you'll get more learned responses, here's my
thoughts.

I can't talk amp technology, but one of the things that come to mind
technique-wise is how you atack notes. This is the hallmark of any great
slide player, and certainly adds to a harp player's individual style as
well. Do you slide in to the "home" note? What techniques do you use to
'color' that note? How cleanly do you hit the note?  Do you add anything at
the finish of the note -  a "slide" out if you will?

I think it's fair to say that what many of us love about many of the greats
- living and dead - is that a note is rarely just a note. Whether it's
tongue-slapped texture, or a bend-in, whatever, rarely (in blues harp and
much of jazz, at least) is a note pure blow or pure draw.  Think of slide
guitar. what would the point be if it each note were precise and clean. Take
Derek and Jason R. side by side (yeah, Jason, I can hear you right now
saying you're not worthy. Just take a frikkin' compliment. You deserve it,
and Mike knows your music, so it works).  Both are 'slippery' as hell. They
don't stay in one place for more than a fraction of a second. This isn't
about speed. Even sustained notes feel like they're moving somewhere.
Staccato notes still sound rich and textured. This almost always comes from
there being multiple things going in to hitting that "one" note. Think the
opening harp note of Jason's Mellow Down, or Hip Shake.  He slides down in
to home....at least that is how it comes across - despite that it would
probably be 'tabbed' as a succession of draw 2s.

Like I said, I know nothing about amps, and I'm not a pro, but you like
slide, and I've heard you talk about certain harp players here before.  So
much of this board talks about precision and speed. Maybe you could try
getting more loose and 'slippery' with your playing. Just a thought, as I
think I can relate to what you describe.

- Blake