Re: [Harp-L] Electric Harp Versus Guitar

Great responses so far.

Every tone (note) has 3 component parts - the attack, the sustain and the release. Jerry Portnoy masterfully explains it in terms of open and closed beginnings and endings in his Harmonica Masterclass CD/Booklet set.

The sustain is an area that most harmonica players need to understand better. In my teaching, I refer to this as "playing Looooong tones" and learning to listen to them. This is not unlike that posting regarding copping a hotel room underneath Charlie Parker and hearing him play LOOOONG tones over and over again. Instead of being disappointed, this person should realize that he was just given the GOLD concept.

Long tones should fill the room with sound without sounding pushed, forced or shrill. Long tones should hang in the air as a pure entity and enjoyed for the beautiful sound that they are. Resist the temptation to add anything, be it tremolo or vibrato.

Guitar players will sustain notes for long periods of time before adding vibrato (with finger or whammy bar). This gives a real soaring tone. I like to refer to David Gilmore and his memorable solos with Pink Floyd.

Bringing this to the harmonica greatly expands its humble sonic possibilities and puts it right in league with guitar.

The Iceman