[Harp-L] Re: blues jr mods

Hi, Mike - It has been a long time since I had my Blues Jr, but I can answer your question "Will the tube swaps recommended in previous postings address feedback, or just improve the sound?" - and the answer is an emphatic "yes, it will reduce feedback." Guitars a) put out less signal than decent harp mics and b) are MUCH less susceptible to feedback. The Blues Jr is setup by the factory for guitar. If you lower the preamp gain stages (sub in a 12AU for an AX, a 12AT for another AX, for example) will allow you to turn the amp up much louder, hence getting the desired overdriven power amp distortion, without running into feedback near as quick. With a 520DX, or ANY mic/volume control combination, you should set up to solo with the control at FULL VOLUME without feedback. Roll the control back a little when you comp/fill. If you have to set the mic's control at 3, you're probably losing a good deal of your element's tone.

Hope that helps.

/Greg

http://www.blowsmeaway.com
http://www.bluestateband.net