Re: [Harp-L] Tom Ball's Little Walter Big Walter Sourcebook

Also, I notice that (almost) all of the licks are played on a Bb diatonic. Dave Barrett seems to do the same thing with his examples. Is the Bb chosen as a sitting midway between the A,C and D instruments most likely used on the original recordings? Or, is the Bb used to avoid potential copyright issues? I would assume that Little Walter/Big Walter rarely played in F.

I would be interested to know..

Many of the best Muddy Waters tunes and many of Little Walter's most famous instrumentals were done in F on a Bb harp. I'm not familiar with the book, but if you are playing along with the originals the Bb harp is the first harp to get.

Tom