Re: [Harp-L] Opinions on chromatics

Date: Fri, 01 Sep 2006 22:29:04 +0000
From: nonidesign@xxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Opinions on chromatics
To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx

>What are the differences between the 280 Hohner 64, and the Hohner
>Super 64?
>I am thinking of buying one of Hohners or a Suzuki Chromatix 16.
>Any opinions on any of them....or others?
>
>My use will be for amplified blues (mostly), and accoustic (sometimes).
>Thanks in advance!

Hi, the 280 and Super 64 are the same instrument with the obvious
difference in covers.  The Super 64 cover tends to slightly muffle the
harmonica giving it a softer mellow tone.  Some prefer the shape and feel
of the Super 64 covers, for myself I prefer the 280.
  If you're playing amplified through a bullet, I'd recommend the 280, the
back of the covers are more open, delivering the full sound of the
instrument into the bullet. And the opening at the back of the covers isn't
as wide as the Super 64's covers.  You may or may not find this easier.

Apart from the LegHorn, I've tried a SCX-64 and SC-14, and I didn't like
the shape of the mouthpieces - other than that they were well built, and
performed well.  I found them to be very pricey compared to Hohner's 16
holers.

Cheers,
-- G.
http://www.angelfire.com/music/HarpOn