Re: [Harp-L] Miles Davis - So What (mild ob intonation talk)

I ment improvising the solo...oops!  The B section as Miles plays it has quite a few extensions.  Maybe a position where one would stick to more of the chord tones would be easier to work.

  In terms of bends and obs, I find that the ends of phrases are hard not to play in the B section withough resolving on them.  I might...might..consider learning some chrom for this song.

  ps.  I have my own myspace site now...http://www.myspace.com/mikefugazzi

icemanle@xxxxxxx wrote:
    Ah, my favorite subject - Miles Davis.

  Playing a song with a 1/2 step between tonalities will always necessitate notes created through a bending technique on the diatonic harmonica.

  Probably the first "harmonica position" you should attempt to get a handle on this song is what might be described as 5th position minor. On a "C" harmonica, that would be playing in the key of E minor. Up a 1/2 step takes you to 12th position minor, or F minor on a "C" harmonica. This is a simple beginning for you, before worrying about which type of minor mode to use (just so much technical musicianspeak describing a sound, dealing with where to put the sixth and how to deal with the 7th's).

  However, if you are more advanced, than know that the minor and major sixths will be 4 hole exhale and 4 hole inhale bend for 5th position minor and 4 hole inhale and 4 hole OB (or 7 hole inhale and 8 hole exhale bend) for 12th position. You should be able to figure out how to achieve whichever 7th you wish to explore in a similar fashion.

  Improving a Miles solo? Hmmmm - that may be hard to do. He's soooo good at soloing. To really learn what Miles did on that tune would take a study of music and an ability to transcribe (or purchase a music book with his solo already transcribed - Jamey Abersold would have one).

  The Iceman