RE: [Harp-L] Opinion Pecking Order

Harp-L is a social construct and like most such organizations there are those who are at a level in the field that are more versed in one area or another for whatever reason. This becomes most apparent on threads concerning topics like tuning where those most literate in formal music theory, techiniique, etc. come to the fore. I like those posts not because I give a hoot about how to tune a harp to play 16th century Irish songs in Richterorianologistic tuning or whatever, but rather because I know I couldn't hear those conversations anywhere else, and I might learn sumptin'.
The community we share on this list has all levels of conversation about harmnica related topics and that is it's ultimate value simply because we have a place to go to talk about a subject most of us can't have in our real world environments. Those conversations can be practical, romantic, silly, stupid, juvenile, and offensive....just like everyday conversations. This defines "community".

Those listers called for lack of a better term "pundits" shouldn't intimidate anybody because when you boil it all down it's all about playing harmonicas and, truth be told, harmonicas are not high on the important things in life list. It may seem that way on HArp-L, but let's be honest, we're talking harmonicas here, not breakthroughs in ending world hunger.
I truly respect the "pundit" segment of the community for their vast knowledge and value as a living trust for so much which before the internet, it would have been almost impossible to connect to. I love that I can put a post a question which is beneath people their level and still get a response form them about something that has been discussed many times before. It is a testament to their passion that I can interact with people like that in this community and not feel that I'm approaching an altar. I have never read anyone ripping a new player for asking a question like "what are those 10 holes for?"

As for being intimidated by the "pundits" look at it this way:   Last night at work my wife, a nurse, literally brought someone back from death at the hospital. However, she can't play shit on a harp.

Nobody great at anything is great at everything.

-------------- Original message from "Michael Peloquin" <peloquinharp@xxxxxxxxxxx>: --------------