Re: [Harp-L] Respectfully Contextualizing Michalek's opinins on Trad. Harp Musicians Rehashing

Roger Boyce <roger.boyce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Im a long-time lurker on Harp L. Ive had some things to say in the past
> but have refrained due to my perception of an opinion pecking order on the
> list.

i'm surprised nobody has responded to this post, aside from the "pecking order"
thing, which is something of a red herring with regard to the main topic.

> Chris Michalek
> often has the last word, or the first provocative word  due to, it seems
> his credibility as organizer of a major international harmonica summit and
> his reputed skills on the harp. Kudos to him for organizing the summit, for
> learning OBs and his employment of
> guitar effects to shape his sound.

my experience on this and other lists has been that people gain or lose
credibility based on what they say and how they say it, rather than on
what or who they are.

> As far as I can tell Michalek and his fellow (highly competent) musicians
> are rehashers of the long demoted musical genre Rock/Jazz fusion.

"long demoted"?  by whom?  and what does that even mean?
do we have to stop liking it?  better tell derek trucks to get a day job.

> I love some qualities, and dislike certain anomalies in the playing and
> singing of all the harp musicians Ive listed and many of those unlisted.
> However, after years of listening and playing I must say (again) that Paul
> DeLay never fails to amaze and emotionally move me.

that's great.  everybody should have a band, or bands, that do that to them.
i've had several.  they tend to vary in prominence over time, depending on
where i am in my life.

> As Rock/Jazz fusion devolved we got bands that noodled interminably within
> poly-rhythmic structures or relied on technical brilliance - providing some
> rhythmic friction but little real fire. That genre has further degenerated
> into todays jam bands and children-of-the-G.Dead god help us.

oh please.  you already wrote off the entire rock/jazz fusion genre.  now
you're dismissing the entire jam band scene as "noodling"?  there is a huge
variety of musical styles represented there, exploring many different parts of
the musical/lyrical landscape.

harp content: there is even a little bit of harp represented in this camp.  though
surprisingly little, often via guest musicians.  search on the LMA to find it.
and why isn't there more?  jason's been trying to break into that, and chris may
be heading there, don't know.  but it's not easy.

> Michaleks
> band solipsistically churns out acid-world-free-jazz-fusion-deepjungle-jams
> such as Liquid Doodles & Spontune, requiring or providing ( at best ) a
> musical score/groove for the imbibing of gnarly-bud or single malt.

so those of us that like it are drunks and stoners?  thanks.

> Have no doubt, I do find it pleasant music but where is the meat
> particularly the heart organ meat?

there's heart music and head music.

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

But I'm not giving in an inch to fear
'Cause I promised myself this year
I feel like I owe it...to someone.