RE: [Harp-L] Rosco/Alec on OB's/half-bends

> I seem to have much better luck on the intermediate
> bends on a Bb or G harp vs. an A.  I'm thinking it might
> actually be the specific harp, not the key?  Or is there any
> reason that key might be particularly difficult viz-a-viz my
> physiology.

I change the offset of both the reeds in a hole to facilitate the
intermediate bends.
If you bend a note down you will start on the drawreed, at some point
the blow reed will join in and both reeds will sound together.

If the transitionpoint between the two reeds coincides with a note you
want to play the intonation will be very difficult. I try to make sure
that the transition lies in between the notes by changing the gaps.

If the two reeds don't overlap well, e.g. the 3d only bends down to a
little below the half step bend and the drawreed in that hole doesn't
join in untill just above the whole step bend, then both bent notes will
become very difficult.

If the draw reed is gapped so wide that it can more or less bend down to
the lowest note in the hole without choking, the transition between
reeds becomes more difficult because you loose air to the drawreed and
will have difficulty getting that blowreed to respond.

It could be that you have different results with different harps because
they are set up differently. A slight difference in gapping can make a
big difference in how well the intermediate bends can be played.

Tinus
http://www.tenhole.com
http://www.overblow.com