[Harp-L] Re: Harmonica as a Voice

Well, I was referring more to intoning notes and controling pitch, moreso that note selection.  I can't play notes on a harmonica as they swim into my head with the same fluidity as I can with singing or whistling.  I will say, though, that the intonation and pitch of my harmonica notes is far superior to my singing and whistling!

  -tim

John Balding <John.Balding@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    During a break at one of his gigs here in Tallahassee many years back,
Jerry Portnoy told me that "When you can hear a line of music in your
head, then play those notes without thinking of where they are on the
harp, that's when you know that you're on the right track. When you can
instinctually play what is in your head as easily as you could sing it,
the harp has become your second voice." At that, he took one last drag
on his cig, crushed it out, and went back to the stage. A man of few,
but profound words.