[Harp-L] Diminished tuning (was: Diminishift tuning Body and Soul)

Hi Tim,

Ludo's post got me curious about the diminished tuning for the un-button
harp again,

Good stuff.

Of course, there are very few useful chords, but this tuning is intended
for single-note play.

Single note - mostly, but you do have the minor 3rd interval, the tritone if
you can tongue block one hole, major sixth and octave (and higher intervals
that are repetitiions of these if you can stretch - #9, #11, 13, two
octaves).  Those intervals (other than m3rd) may only work on the blow and
draw without bending, depending on how you can bend with tongue block.  I
haven't tried the diminished "unbutton" harp myself, so I'm kind of
speculating a bit here about what's possible, but I do play diminished
tuning on chromatic.

At what point do I start introducing actual music into the regimen?

I would say as soon as possible. When I started off on the diminished tuning, as soon as I was able to play a major scale, I tried to play melodies based on that - melodies I knew pretty well, like Somewhere over the Rainbow, or an Irish tune like the Rights of Man. The former tune was good practise for interval jumps. Having a map of the layout either printed out or in your memory will help here. Playing tunes like this will solidify in your mind where the notes are on this tuning.

After you get that melody in one position, move up to the next hole and try
it there.  Feel the satisfaction of being able to play in in a new key with
no work at all! :-)  You may make the occasional mistake.

Then go and play the same melody in another position, and by position I
mean:

Position 1: the scale you're playing in starts on a blow note (C, for
example)
Position 2: the scale you're playing in starts on a draw bent note (C#)
Position 3: the scale you're playing in starts on a draw note, unbent (D)

You know this - I'm just spelling it out for clarity.

Then you could do the same with another mode of the major scale, if you
wanted to be so formal - practise a dorian mode, play your favourite dorian
tune until you can do it pretty well, then move into the other positions.

You could then work on other scales like melodic or harmonic minor (or
diminished -doh!).  If you were into jazz, you could practise your ii V Is
in a key until you were familiar with it, then try a new key, then a new
position etc.

I've really been meaning to try one of these, although my needs are pretty
well served by the button version.  Seydel make them in low F# and Eb, I
think - and can make in another key for a slightly higher price.

How's the intonation on those bend notes? :-)  I guess that because you've
only a semitone to bend, it should be pretty stable.

Keep us posted? Thanks,

Eugene