[Harp-L] re: Kalamazoo and Epiphone Valve Jr.

Hi, Mike -

Kalamazoo's are wonderful old amps - great crunch. You said "something I could even mod for a Bassman type tone."

Well, nothing, and I mean nothing, with a single 10" speaker (or any other size) will ever sound anything like 4 10's. It just won't. However I have one 'Zoo (not for sale) that I modded with a Hammond power transformer and a Jensen C10Q - it does give the amp a more "grown-up" tone - a little smoother, a little more bass.

Although I normally gig through my SJ410 (or the SJ410 AND the Zoo together, which is even better) I gigged through my 'Zoo the other night at JJ's. Mic'd it through the house system. The sound guy did a great job. I could hear myself really well and the house got all they needed.

As for Epiphones - I heard one I liked and then I went through 3 purchases and sales before deciding that one was a fluke. Didn't like the others. That's just personal opinion.

I do have some info about the Kalamazoos on my site - see http:// www.BlowsMeAway.com/kalamazoo.html - and you'll find a sound file there, unfettered by any delay, reverb or other after-effects - just a clean straight recording.

/Greg