Re: RE: [Harp-L] Special 20 Tuning

Steve Shaw wrote:
> Also, I've found that most 10-hole harps I've bought have come
> tuned slightly sharp of A440, including SP20s (the tonic note
> being the one to check).

While I agree that most 10-hole harps I've bought are tuned sharp of
A=440, it seems to manifest less on the 1 hole blow than on other
holes.  I get the impression (though this is in no way verfied) that
the manufacturer is attempting to maintain the accuracy of "A=440" at
the tonic where it is most often checked, while tuning the rest of the
harp sharper.  The result, of course, is a poorly rendered octave
between the 1 and 4 blows.

-tim

Heheh. We players of Irish melodies tend not to care much about how we sound below hole 4 anyway! ;-)

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm READ review of my CD: http://www.irishmusicreview.com/sshaw.htm