[Harp-L] Audix Fireball (V) vs Blues Blaster

Hello, Jim

I have been playing for many years now and I've tried a lot of different mics, including both Blues Blaster (older and newer, see below) and Audix Fireball and Fireball-V. From your post I suspect you're learning to play blues. In my opinion the Audix Fireball is not what you want. It is a perfectly good mic, but it is very one- dimensional in sound - it will NOT allow you to get a warm, dirty, thick Chicago type sound. It will NOT exhibit a large difference between cupped and not cupped. As a new player, trust me, cupping technique has WAY more to do with good tone than any other factor and it takes time to learn. You should learn it with a mic that is more responsive to cupping technique.

The Blues Blaster comes in the same shell that the famous old JT30 did. Hohner took it over when Astatic stopped marketing it. The original Blues Blasters were sold with an Astatic MC-151 element - a very good element. But then even Hohner couldn't get a supply of these elements any more. The later ones were sold with a really cheap element and frankly, they are pretty awful. I don't know which one you have - you can easily open the mic to find out. But I say this because you shouldn't throw out the baby with the bathwater - i.e., don't assume all "traditional looking" bullets sound like your Blues Blaster - they don't.

If I'm right that you're looking for good traditional blues tone, then I would recommend you either replace the element in your blues blaster with an MC151 or Shure Controlled Magnetic element (get a gasket to make it fit from harpmicgaskets.com) - or buy a mic with one of these elements or a comparable one. FYI - learning to cup well takes a lot of practice - and if your hands are small it can be a lot harder. I just put one of my custom mics on eBay, one specifically designed to help people with smaller hands. The auction listing is http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130026583657

regards,

Greg Heumann
http://www.blowsmeaway.com