From: Winslow Yerxa [mailto:winslowyerxa@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 9:50 AM
To: John Balding; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Re: Suzuki Firebreath Problems - To List or Not to
List? - Not the right question

What Jonathan Ross and John Balding write below shows a significant
misunderstanding of my position on this matter.

I never suggested keeping things "hush hush" or that a product problem
should not be mentioned on the list.

My point was that rather than complaining to the world at large without
- or even before - getting the manufacturer involved - is both
unproductive and unfair to the manufacturer.

Rather than simply saying, "My harmonica broke," wouldn't it be both
more helpful to the manufacturer to make a better product, and more
revealing to the consumer about how responsive, helpful, and
conscientious the manufacturer is in fixing the immediate problem and
in improving their products in general to:

1) contact the manufacturer and get their response and initial action

2) tell the list about the problem and how the manufacturer handled it

3) follow up a few weeks, month, later, etc. to see how well the
manufacturer followed up on any promises made.

I think that this procedure hides nothing from other consumers, and
actually gives them more rather than less information about the
situation. It is also more helpful in the long run in improving product
quality.

Winslow