[Harp-L] Audix Fireball vs. EV 920

Now that is the mic you guys should be comparing the Audix Fireball with IMHO.

The Fireball is somewhat similar in shape, but the EV 920 http:// www.dirtydansmics.com/images/EV_Spherex_920_mic.jpg

has the entire lower section enclosed in a metal shell. This may explain why you can color the tone better with hand effects on the EV 920 then the Audix. I own one and sold one to Scott Gold a few years ago. He can comment on it if he is still on the list.

The 920 gives you that "in the palm of your hand" feel while allowing you to use your hand movements as if playing acoustic. Good open and closed cupping tone. I wouldn't recommend it for loud band use though. The only draw back is the wide pattern which allowed for easy feedback compared to other mics. That can be controlled somewhat by the choice of element , vol. pot or on/off switch or tone setting on the amp. The EV 920 works nice for chrome since the polar pattern is wide. There are no hot or weak spots in it's path.
You just need big hands to hold it and a chrome.

If you like the design of the Audix Fireball but need more then a one dimensional sound then try picking up an EV 920.
They are vintage so you will need to find a vintage dealer or go on ebay. I got mine for around $65 on ebay about 10 years ago.

btw, I have no connection with dirtydans. His site was the easiest to pull up an image of the EV 920.
You can also see one at the Masterclass website.

mike