[Harp-L] re: Audix Fireball vs. EV 920

on Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 19:06:44 ­0400
in the subject Audix Fireball vs. EV 920
my pal, Mike Easton  wrote:

> Now that is the mic you guys should be comparing the Audix Fireball
> with IMHO.
>
> The Fireball is somewhat similar in shape, but the EV 920 http://
> www.dirtydansmics.com/images/EV_Spherex_920_mic.jpg
>
> has the entire lower section enclosed in a metal shell.  This may
> explain why you can color the tone better with hand effects on the EV
> 920 then the Audix.   I own one and sold one to Scott Gold a few
> years ago.  He can comment on it if  he is still on the list.
>
> The 920 gives you that "in the palm of your hand" feel while allowing
> you to use your hand movements as if playing acoustic. Good open and
> closed cupping tone. I wouldn't recommend it for loud band use
> though. The only draw back is the wide pattern which allowed for easy
> feedback compared to other mics.  That can be controlled somewhat by
> the choice of element , vol. pot or on/off switch or tone setting on
> the amp.    The EV 920 works nice for chrome since the polar pattern
> is wide.  There are no hot or weak spots in it's path.
> You just need big hands to hold it and a chrome.
>
> If you like the design of the Audix Fireball but need more then a one
> dimensional sound then try picking up an EV 920.
> They are vintage so you will need to find a vintage dealer or go on
> ebay.  I got mine for around $65 on ebay about 10 years ago.
>
> btw, I have no connection with dirtydans.  His site was the easiest
> to pull up an image of the EV 920.
> You can also see one at the Masterclass website.
>
> mike

yeah, Mike did sell me the 920 spheres - and over the years one or two other
jewels.  the 902?  actually the best mic I ever had.  the loudest, hottest,
most versatile mic in my collection (including turner, jt30, 545s, bleus
blaster, green bullet, ruskin, and one or two others).  unfortunately it was
hard-wired and the cable has frayed - it need a repair job .....

I find that this mic is easy to cup, easy to "uncup" and great with a chrom.

I know nothing of the fireball, so I cannot comment on that.

but, I would recommend the 920 - most definitely.  not to mention, although
simple look, it has a very interesting and elegant aesthetic.

-sg
tokyo, japan

ps-- hi, Mike!