Re: [Harp-L] Mics

Fully agree with the conclusions.

And on the basis of this I'd  like to get a little further. If a person
has one really good amp, would it be reasonalbe to have some feedback
fighting device and/or EQ to allow using a variety of mics. I guess this
would help tremendousely. The thing is that one mic feels comfortable in
hands, the other has great low freq's and fat tone, etc., that is,
there's always a reason to use this or that mic. And in order to privide
for that, one has to get further and use some adjustment gear. This is
my subjecting opinion which might turn out to be misleading for others.
Any comments on that?

Thank you Richard for sharing your conclusions. This is really an
eye-opening experiment.

Alex

>>> Richard Hunter <turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 09.09.2006 1:35:55 >>>
I had a little spare time today, so I decided to try a few of my mics
with a couple of my amps.

Mics: Audix Fireball with Fireball V element, Bottle O'Blues, Astatic
JT-30VC, Shure 545 (similar to SM57), Electrovoice MC300 (similar to
Shure SM57)
Amps: Ron Holmes modified Crate VC508 Class A 5 watt tube amp, Peavey
Transformer 112

Results:
To my surprise, the best-sounding mic with the Peavey Transformer was
the $35 Bottle O'Blues, which produced a strong, bass-rich tone with
less feedback than any of the other mics.

The best-sounding mic with the VC508 was the Audix, followed closely by

the Astatic.  But the Astatic produced feedback at a lower volume level

than the Audix. The Audix's superior feedback resistance also allowed
the volume knob on the Crate to be cranked higher, producing a heavier

amped tone.  The BOB produced feedback with this amp at a volume level

way below either the Audix or the Astatic.  The Shure 545, as expected,

had a noticeable frequency peak in the mid-high range that was not
pleasant when amped, and it produced more feedback than either the
Astatic or the Audix.  The Electrovoice had a slightly smoother sound
than the Shure, but a bland overall sound compared to either the Audix

or the Astatic.

Conclusions:
I have realized--again--that it's pointless to talk about a mic without

discussing the amp through which the mic is played.  Players who own
one
amp who intend to own one mic should try enough mics to ensure that
they've got a great amp/mic combination.  Players with multiple mics
should test every mic they've got with every amp they've got to find
the
best combinations.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com