[Harp-L] An Addition to "Beeswax Sealing and Customizing Marine Bands"

First of all thank you Tim and Keith for making this
post available.

As a maker of stringed instruments (and varnish for
them) I have some knowledge of the dangers inherent in
heating flammable components. I thought it might be in
everyone's interest to add the following information
to the instructions. It comes from the Wikipedia entry
for beeswax:

"Beeswax has a high melting point range, of 62 to 64
°C (144 to 147 °F). It does not boil in air, but
continues to heat until it bursts into flame at around
120 °C (250 °F). If beeswax is heated above 85 °C (185
°F) discoloration occurs."

Since beeswax melts at about 144 °F, discolors at 185
°F, and bursts into flame at around 250 °F, we want to
heat the beeswax to somewhere between 144 °F and 185
°F. It might be a good idea to use a cooking
thermometer, a metal one not a glass one, to know when
the beeswax has reached the optimum and safe
temperature and hold it there. Also be aware of
whether you are measuring Celsius or Fahrenheit. Since
the beeswax does not boil, there will be no warning if
the beeswax is allowed to approach the "burst in
flames" temperature of 250 °F.

Thanks again for reposting this information.

Delmar