Subject: [Harp-L] The best : kudos - and respect - to Brad Kava

Again...coming to this thread late...but since Jason is a good  friend...

Winslow wrote:

"Brad Kava did a superb job of capturing and presenting to the  reading
public the texture of Jason Ricci's working and artistic  life.

Many do consider Jason to be the best harp player out there.  Brad was
reporting a fact.

Was it somehow wrong to do so? No. It  helps create a contrast between
the brilliance of the man and his  reputation on one hand, and the hard
life he's living on the other,  with the constant touring and lack of
commercial success.

Anyone  who doesn't recognize the validity of this technique and the
essential  truthfulness of using it needs to take a deep breath. Did
Brad help or  hurt the harmonica community? He helped. Anyone who has
done more than  Brad to help the community may have a right to offer
constructive  criticism privately. Anyone who hasn't might show a little
respect to a  friend.

Winslow"

.....Said beautifully, Winslow (as usual :)    Is all  this controversy
merely about Brad's use of the term "the  best"?   Gee....don't MOST writers and
journalists today  describe something they're reviewing as "superb"... "the
best"...."the  worst"....  "mediocre at best"...."not up to his usual  standards",
and so on?   Isn't that the whole point of a  review?

 If those who were complaining about Brad's article because  of his use of
"the best"...also did so whenever they read a review of any  movie, book, car,
camera, TV, CD, electronic game, ball game, ballplayer  (ad infinitum)...and
put in writing their disapproval  to  the editors every time a reviewer wrote
his opinion.....then I could  accept their voicing such disapproval here...but
until I  see such evidence thereto...it strikes me as pointed carping  against
Brad and Jason, and you put it  perfectly. Lovely post.

Elizabeth