Re: [Harp-L] Why is C not named A?

Michael Rubin wrote:
<I have a student who claims that until he understands the purpose for <history having named the notes the names they have, he cannot really <learn. He says it is just parroting.

I think your student is afraid to play a note, and you might ask him what he's afraid of. That's certainly the god-damndest excuse for not learning to play that I've ever heard.

If he was my student, I'd tell him: stop wasting your time and mine, man, and pick up the horn. Or go home and sign up for a music history class. Either is a better idea than pretending you can't play a note without knowing why it's got a name.

Regards, Richard Hunter
hunterharp.com