Re: [Harp-L] Bass harp layout

Michael;
             The bottom row has the white notes, the top row, the black
notes. The gaps between B and C and E and F, where there is no black
note, would leave one note missing in the top row (ie a hole with no
note) in each case. To fill in the hole without changing the scale
pattern, an alternate white note is added, similar to the chromatic,
except on the chrom., it's F and C instead of F and B.
             I haven't put much time into the bass harp (though I own
one) so I'm not immediately aware of the usefulness or otherwise of this
setup, but it's worth noticing (which you possibly have already) that
the top row spells out an F#major scale, starting on the major 7th (F)
the B being the fourth. A 'C' in it's place would give you the flat 5th
of that scale, which isn't as apparently logical to me, at any rate.
             The F# scale is as far as you can get from the C scale, so
maybe that represents a manifestation of the logic in this system (now
that's a deep and murky one!
Cheers,
Rick Dempster

>>> Michael Rubin <rubinmichael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> 22/09/2006 7:47:36 >>>
I've recently purchased a bass harp.  It is two harps, on on top of the
other.
  The bottom harp is all white notes, two octaves starting on E.
  The top harp is strange.
  F F# G# A# B C# D# F F# G# A# B C# D#

  I understand that F can be considered E#, so that note makes sense.
WHY do they have the note B?  C would make sense, as it is B#.  I
suppose B is Cb, but then they should have E instead of F.

  The only thought I have is this:  Harmonica bands are fronted by
chromatic players.  I think it is fairly common practice for Chromatic
players of this style to focus on the key of C.  A common chord would
therefore be C7 spelled out C E G Bb.  Three notes played on the bottom
harp, one on the top.

  A common trick to creating exciting at the end of a song is to raise
the song up one half step in key, to the key of C#.  The C#7 chord is C#
E# (F) G# B.  All of those notes would therefore be available on the top
harp.

  This is the only explanation I can find for the layout.  Does anyone
else have any ideas?
  Thanks,
Michael Rubin
  Michaelrubinharmonica.com