Re: [Harp-L] Why is C not named A?

Not sure I can give a decisive answer as to the "why", but it's
interesting to note that use of letters of the alphabet used to
indicate successive notes in a musical scale goes back to the ancient
Greeks. Several medieval systems did not stop and repeat at the octave;
some went all the way from A to P. And some did use A to indicate the
note we now call C.

Reading about the history of how scales were constructed in former
centuries can be pretty interesting. Our modern ideas about modal
scales have little to do with the medieval concepts of modes, which are
fairly complex, so it is not at all obvious that starting a scale on A
would result in what we now call the Aeolian mode.

Much of what we routinely accept is historical accident. Every language
has idiomatic expressions - utterances that are commonly understood but
which make no logical sense if deconstructed. Perhaps our centering the
musical universe around the third letter of the alphabet instead of the
first could be considered to be something like that.

WIns;pw