RE: [Harp-L] Harp preparation for studio recording?

Eric Garcia touched on this in his reply when he advised: "don't try to
play anything that you can't play again smoothly."

I love seeing big harp players like Primich, Piazza, Hummel, etc. play
live because they do things on stage which they don't do in the studio.
Most tend to play more reserved when recording for the reason Eric
stated above. The song may require a couple of takes in the studio. If
you play something different each take, it affects the flow of the
piece.
Imagine what it would be like if the drummer used a different beat style
each time you performed the same song. (Using the same rhythm, but a
different style.) What you do should be, as Eric stated, duplicable. In
other words, unless the piece requires otherwise, keep your playing in
the "safe zone" and save the hot-doggin' for the gigs. An album (CD) is
about a complete sound. Gigs are the place to showcase individual
talents.
To use the drummer analogy again, I would much rather have a
"boom-chuck-boom" drummer with perfect rhythm in the studio than a Buddy
Rich wannabe who screws up five times during each tune.
Remember, McDonald's does not owe their success to producing the world's
best hamburger. Their ultimate success comes from making a product
easily duplicable.
One final thought: Jerry Portnoy is a bad mofo on a harp. Yet, Clapton
chose Portnoy to play with him on three albums, and tour with him due to
his flawless ability to execute fills and insert subtleties in the songs
which would not overpower or detract from the essence of the pieces.
Portnoy is capable of amazing feats of fancy, yet it was his consistency
and feel for the music which one him the slot.

John Balding