Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Getting Good and Getting Even Better

Mark Wilson writes (majorly snipped):

"I highly recommend his (Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi) book, Finding Flow,  which
is available at
Amazon, and is carried at most  libraries.  Recently, to my great
surprise, I found a music  teacher by the name of Andreas Burzik  in
Germany, who is  teaching using Csikszentmihalyi's techniques. He has
some  wonderful information on his website, that if diligently
followed, will allow anyone to get into a flow state while  practicing."

....Great! Thank you!  Mark....I followed through last night and  read up on
the information you posted.
 It struck such a needed chord with me...I'd just read something  along a
very similar vein that kept drawing me back as well.  I get  something called The
Daily Om in my mailbox each day but hadn't yet read  this one....

"September 21,  2006
Following The  Current

Going With  The Flow
The expression going with the flow is a metaphor that  applies to navigating
a river. When we go with the flow, we follow the  current of the river rather
than push against it. People who go with the  flow may be interpreted as lazy
or passive, but to truly go with the flow  requires awareness, presence, and
the ability to blend one's own energy  with the prevailing energy. Going with
the flow doesn't mean we toss our  oars into the water and kick back in the
boat, hoping for the best. Going  with the flow means we let go of our individual
agenda and notice the play  of energy all around us. We tap into that energy
and flow with it, which  gets us going where we need to go a whole lot faster
than resistance will.

Going with the flow doesn't mean that we don't know where we're  going; it
means that we are open to multiple ways of getting there. We are  also open to
changing our destination, clinging more to the essence of our  goal than to the
particulars. We acknowledge that letting go and modifying  our plans is part
of the process. Going with the flow means that we are  aware of an energy that
is larger than our small selves and we are open to  working with it, not
against it.

Many of us are afraid of going  with the flow because we don't trust that we
will get where we want to go  if we do. This causes us to cling to plans that
aren't working, stick to  routes that are obstructed, and obsess over
relationships that aren't  fulfilling. When you find yourself stuck in these kinds of
patterns, do  yourself a favor and open to the flow of what is rather than
resisting it.  Trust that the big river of your life has a plan for you and let
it carry  you onward. Throw overboard those things that are weighing you down.
Be  open to revising your maps. Take a deep breath and move into the
current."
....and surprisingly (for me)...I'm now fighting my fears of  stepping off
into the unknown ever since SPAH/Denver opened up  new pathways for me in
several different ways..and have decided that  this is exactly what I need to do.
It's time to grow up.
It's how I've always played music when I'm alone, both on keyboard  and
harmonica.  Buzz Krantz, Mike Runyan's pep talks, and then Joe  Filisko's
explanation about breathing fell into this  category...playing onstage with amazing and
wonderful people like Joe  Leone and Wally Peterman made some of my fears
fall away....listening to  Robert Bonfiglio's teaching at the Grand Canyon
brought much more of it  into focus...now I just have to let go of the rest....in
other issues in  my life as well.
Sometimes it all comes together through the most  circuitous of paths.  I'm
so appreciative.
Elizabeth