	From: bluegrassharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:bluegrassharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Eric Lubeck
	Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 7:51 AM
	To: bluegrassharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
	Subject: [BluegrassHarp] Old-Time Harmonica
	Hi Folks,
	I was curious how people on this list play harmonica in an old-time
	situation. By this i´m thinking of a group probably anchored in the sound
	of clawhammer banjo and fiddle. Do you play the straight melody like
	additional melody players might? If you do, how do you play the melody?
	First position smooth, second position bendy, or some otherway. I typically
	find myself playing second position on a country tuned harp. This sound
	really seems to blend well with the group. I also don´t worry too much
	about melody, but keep my accompianiment strongly with the rhythmic movement
	of the piece, additing vamps and other rhythmic ethics to enhance the
	piece. Seems to me like old-time music is far more about rhythm than
	staying orthodox to the melody and for this reason harmonica seems to be an
	excellent accompaniment instrument.