Re: [Harp-L] More on Writing Music

I've not seen anything that could take, say, a CD track of a band and
figure out which instrument was which, isolate the notes, and reliably
notate them. There are programs that will write down what is played
into a microphone by a single instrument - like you playing your harp,
in which case you already know what you're playing and can figure out
the note names with a tuning chart and a little application.

I think what you really need - and which will benefit you immeasurably
- is to take an ear training course. Train your ear to hear different
intervals, then melodies, and so on. This will give you the tools you
need to hear things and write them down, and also to read music and
know what it sounds like without having to sound it out on an
instrument.

Singing in a choir can also be a big help in training the ear.

Winslow