RE: [Harp-L] On sticking chromatic slides

Snaruhn@xxxxxxx wrote:

Warming up harps before playing is as questionable as to
knock them out. I mentioned already in a former post that
the condensation can only be prevented when warming the
harp up to body temperature. This is firstly impossible
and secondly, the inhaled atmospheric air of the 50% draws
thwarts the warming immediately.

I found the whole of your post very interesting and useful, but I would politely take issue with the bit about warming the harp being questionable. I would contend that most chromatic players (and I myself use chromatics only occasionally, but nonetheless...) would tell you that warming the harp is well-nigh indispensable to get the valves all working as they should. Admittedly, some harps are better than others in this respect, but all the stock Hohner 260s and 270s I've had, as well as my Hering 1248, and even my two XB40s, respond properly only when they have at the very least had the chance to warm up to "warm room temp." The explanation apropos condensation, etc., may well be questionable, but when I pick up one of my chromatics in the pub session I know that it just won't be perfect unless it's warm. Into the pants pocket it goes, if I've had the foresight to predict that I'll soon need it. 'Tis the bottom line, I can't explain it but I know it's needed. I would point out that the inhaled air, whilst cooler than body temp., has the advantage of being nowhere near as moisture-laden as the warmer exhaled air, and is itself somewhat warmed up by the fact that it passes through your hands and over the parts of the warmed-up harp.

Steve

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/trad_irish_harmonica HEAR my CD clips: http://www.gjk2.com/steveshaw/cd.htm