[Harp-L] Re: death of live music?

"Bill Hines" <billhines4@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> ...so next thing you know you have transformed from the stoned kid
> having a blast grooving to some horrible but passionate band at the frat
> party into some leaden wooden dancing comb-over or toupee-wearing zombie
> at the local bar because there's some DJ playing some song you used to
> live by (mony mony, mony mony...), bringing faint reminders of something
> that was good in life, long ago and far away

wow, *that* was depressing.  but i know what you mean.

> Sorry, but I just described
> many of my former friends. Me: "hey this guy jason ricci is playing
> tonight, he's great, come on out.."  Them: "nah bill, We're pretty
> tired, and desparate housewives is on anyway and we're gonna have to
> stay up way past our bedtime to watch that as it is. We usually crash by
> 9 these days".

yeah, it's like pullin' teeth to get people to come out to a show.  i ran into a
friend the other night who came to see jason at our habitat benefit.  i'd been
trying for years to get him out to a jrnb show, to no avail.  and now he's like,
"oh my god, i can't believe all those times i didn't go when you've been after
me for so long.  i am *so* glad you kept after me!"

so keep up your efforts to save your friends from couch potato zombiehood.
you're on the side of the angels.

----
Garry Hodgson, Senior Software Geek, AT&T CSO

nobody can do everything, but everybody can do something.
do something.