[Harp-L] The diminishing listening habits of adults....

About ten years ago there was a fascinating story in the Wall Street Journal about a thesis that had been written in which the author, a psychologist, had studied the listening habits of adults to see if there were patterns evident at different ages.  In a nutshell (and I wish I had cut this out and saved it because it was fascinating reading) what he found was that by age 30 over 90% of his study group had completely QUIT listening to anything new unless they happened to hear it on the radio.  That they mostly listened to what they had heard before, bought this stuff, etc.  Now with the highly focused availability of about any type of music delivered by I-tunes, satellite radio or other internet outlets, this condition has to have worsened.  I tend to agree with much of what Rosco has said here, too, but thought this was worth retelling.  Now, how about your habits?  Are you part of the solution or part of the problem?  Personally, I try to buy and listen to as much new, different stuff as possible, but it's pretty hard to keep your ears open....TE