Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2007 14:48:39 -0700
From: fjm <mktspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Soldering Reeds
To: h-l <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>

The low low F Seydel I have is just ok.  The dropped octave A I made
myself is better.  Vern had some very good advice on how to solder reeds
to lower pitch.  Here's a link to the archived post.

http://harp-l.org/mailman/htdig/harp-l/2007-March/msg00549.html

There are other discussions regarding soldering to lower reed pitch also
on the harp-l archive site.  There is some good advice from Douglas Tate
from a ways back.

Careful application of flux is key for my technique.  A low melting
temperature solder makes life easier.  I believe I used a 22 watt iron
with a small tip.  I've also used a 15 watt iron with success.  Support
the reed from underneath.  I use paper.  It will scorch, don't be
alarmed by this.  Heat the reed, apply the solder.  Flux the reed before
you heat it.  I use bamboo skewers to apply the flux.  the small tip
makes it easier to apply the flux exactly where I want it.  Try to keep
the solder on the very end of the reed.  fjm