[Harp-L] re Death of Live Music

I don't understand. Does the violin player expect $1,097.oo from the 1097 people passing by? I have to be really honest with everyone. I don't have a lot of sympathy for a fellow playing a several MILLION dollar violin when we have a fellow down here who plays a fiddle and makes Charlie Daniels look like a cripple with carpel tunnel and tennis elbow, and merely gets by as a musician. He's an older Jason Ricci type and should be internationally STELLAR.

Some people have CONNECTIONS along with talent and that's a winning combination. The rest pound the road. The average audience isn't interested in who you are. They're interested in what you have to say.

Guys were running this story by last week and I let it slide by but after thinking about it a while and re-reading it a couple times, I might add, I came to the conclusion that there was this virtuoso violin player who plays concerts for several thousand people at a time for several hundred dollars EACH (at a time). He should be happy, quit playing around in the metro station and be thankful for his talent and good fortune.

So, I don't understand the reason for the article. Was it to rub every itinerant musician's face into the dirt? Were they making fun of other less fortunate poor souls? Was it to say "Hey, I'm so & so, and even 'I' can't make 40 bucks an hour". One guy even throws in $20.oo because he recognizes the player.

Oh GREAT, in other words, (assuming equal talent) a famous player who DOESN' t need the money gets a $20, while 'Joe Schmuck' who could maybe use it, get's snow water?

smokey-joe

This is a long article but I think it's worth reading.
Pearls Before Breakfast -
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/04/ AR2007040401721.html?hpid=topnews
--
Steve York