Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Documentary Website Update

Todd,

You're asking for a song for a film intended for commercial release. There are a lot of questions that go with that kind of transaction. For example:

Are you planning to own the copyright for the song, or just to license it from the composer?
Are you planning to put out a soundtrack CD?
Are you planning to offer the composer royalties for the use of the song in DVDs, or for use of the film in theatres and television?

Your intention is to make money from this film, I presume? In that case, it's reasonable to ask whether the composer of the theme song will have some share of the revenues, either up front (which apparently is not the case) or on the back end (when the film has generated revenues).

It would be a little contradictory, I think, to make a movie that celebrates harmonica players, and then use a song featuring harmonica to promote the film--without any payment to the composer.

If the song becomes a hit, which is possible given its placement in a feature film, these questions would become very important indeed.

Thanks and regards, Richard Hunter

todd slobin wrote:
That is it. An opportunity for anybody, anywhere to have an original song in a movie...is that not enough?