As far as I am concerned, the case is closed.
(Oh, by the way, the only way you can 'amplify'  the harp without
electronics is with a megaphone, like Deford Bailey.)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Garry Hodgson" <garry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2007 10:36 AM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] comb material

> Zombor Kovacs <zrkovacs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> My metal combed harps do sound significantly different
>> from the plastic ones.
>
> unless they're identical in all respects but comb material, and
> you and your audience don't know what you're playing, it doesn't
> tell us much.  there is a well established methodology for
discerning
> differences like this in controlled and repeatable experiments.
> to my knowledge, this has not been done with harps.

It has been done twice.  Once at SPAH 97  and again at Buckeye 98.
Complaints arose that the comparisons were "flawed"....AFTER the
results
disappointed the believers.  There should be a lot of discussion in the

harp-l archives circa '97 & '98.  Comb materials as diverse as lead,
foam
plastic, wood, titanium, ABS plastic, balsa wood, aluminum and concrete
were
compared.  None of the more than 30 SPAH attendees present did better
than
random guessing.  At Buckeye, the same set of reedplates and covers
were
used with wood and plastic comb materials.

Neither the above empirical evidence nor musical-acoustical theory
supports
the notion that comb material perceptibly affects tone.  That is
because the
comb does not participate in the generation or the transmission of the

sound.  The notion arises in a false analogy with the materials of
sound
plates in stringed instruments. It is well documented in
musical-acoustic
books (references on request) that the materials of wind instruments
including woodwinds, brass, and organs, do not perceptibly affect tone.

There are comparisons of concrete flutes, plastic-tubing one-note
clarinets,
and putty-covered trumpets to deny the effect.

It would only take one person winning my $1000 challenge to prove that
it
could be done and elicit from me a public admission that I have been
wrong
for ten years. The comb materials effect is a cherished myth and
refuses to
die quietly. It is like killing a snake...just when I think that I have

beaten it to death, it starts wiggling again!   ;o)

  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_blind

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com