Re: [Harp-L] Comb Material

----- Original Message ----- From: "B Boggs" <ceudoazul@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 10:46 AM
Subject: [Harp-L] Comb Material

Forgive me for posting when I have not followed all of the discussion of comb materials.
I use Bushman and Hohner Special 20 harps most often.
When players I respect said they prefer wood comb Marine Bands I would wonder if I was missing something.
I thought part of the sound the player hears is partly due to bone conduction and the quality of feel of the comb as it relates to the different senses (sight, touch, feel in mouth-lips-tongue) which form a perception (in the brain/soul).
Even the term music can be argued. Some in a discussion would require that to be music, the sounds must have certain form and follow certain rules. Others would call some sounds music without the same requirements.
My point is that a lot of communication leads to misunderstanding because the basic terms are not defined explicitly in the context of the discussion. Many arguments I have had were based on asssumptions of what a word or term meant to me which is not always the same for another.
My interest here is in harmony, I am a little fish in a big pond.

I regard the harmonica as a machine whose behavior, though complex, is capable of being understood through physics and acoustics. I try to understand that behavior by scientific methods and describe it in engineering terms. I always support any claims that I make with empirical data and/or acoustical theory. My purpose is better harmonicas and more effective maintenance. I have found that cherished harmonica myths exist and need IMO to be debunked. This is interpreted as arrogance by some. Even if you disagree, I give you somthing definite to argue against. Occasionally, I assert the authority of books and technical articles on musical acoustics. I resist the notion that the instrument has an impenetrable mystique, or a gauzy link to the "human soul." The musicians have the biases, emotions, mystiques, and memories.

Vern
Visit my harmonica website www.Hands-Free-Chromatic.7p.com